Time for one last embroidery pattern before Christmas. This one looks more involved than it really is. The night sky was created using large Straight stitches and the houses are Back stitched, making this design pretty fast to stitch up. I recently saw the cutest embroidered pouch that would make a great gift card holder… I think this piece will have a similar fate.
Download the free pattern and instructions here. You can also follow the instructions below.
- 8x8 inch piece of light grey cotton fabric
- Metallic silver floss
- Dark blue floss (DMC 3750)
- Medium blue floss (DMC 3809)
- Light blue floss (DMC 3849)
- Bright yellow floss (DMC 972)
- Muted yellow floss (DMC 783)
2. Stitch the littlest house in a Back stitch using three strands of dark blue floss (DMC 3750).
3. Stitch the middle house in a Back stitch using four strands of medium blue floss (DMC 3809).
4. Stitch the largest house in a Back stitch using five strands of light blue floss (DMC 3849).
5. Stitch the middle house’s window in a Back stitch using two strands of muted yellow floss (DMC 783).
6. Stitch the large house’s windows in a Back stitch using three strands of bright yellow floss (DMC 972).
7. With three strands of dark blue floss (DMC 3750) stitch the night sky around the houses. Simply make large single Straight stitches. Where a line of night extends over a large space take several straight stitches to create one long line.
8. With metallic silver floss stitch the stars by making a Cross stitch on its side.
9. For the moon work a split stitch around the outline of the moon in the silver metallic floss. Then fill the moon with a Satin stitch.